I came across this gem on Instagram a couple of days ago. I like it because it brings humor to a very serious issue. I find all too often women, much more than men, make excuses for the way their significant other acts. And this very issue is at the heart of an abusive relationship. Bottom line is that nobody, man or woman, should ever verbally, coercively, sexually, emotionally or physically abuse you. There is NO excuse for people who are abusive. These are some of the excuses I made for my ex boyfriend:
- “He’s really tired, I should have had dinner ready on time.”
- “He just had a serious concussion, he’s still recovering.”
- “He just got fired from his job, it’s only natural for him to take it out on me.”
- “He’s working way harder than I am, I shouldn’t have brought up that issue that was bothering me.”
- “It’s selfish of me to go out with my friends when he can’t because he’s so busy.”
These are only a few examples of the excuses I made for my ex. I made these kind of excuses every day. What are some of the excuses you previously made for you ex? If you are currently in an abusive relationship, are you able to recognize the excuses you are making for your partner and what are they?
xo Hope ox